Chief Operating Officer (COO)
As a member of the executive leadership team, the COO, along with the President and CEO, Chief Advancement Officer and Chief Financial Officer holds leadership responsibility for execution of Camp Fire's board approved vision and strategic direction and the continuous building of the organization's effectiveness and sustainability. Specifically, the COO leads and oversees Camp Fire annual business planning process. Leads and ensures achievement of strategic goals for assigned divisions: Program and Evaluation; Council Effectiveness; Governance and Risk Management; and Camp Fire Heartland.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Other duties may be assigned
- Designs and leads implementation of annual business planning to support strategy achievement.
- Leads and directs consultation and planning to strengthen Camp Fire councils as effective youth development businesses, with particular attention to cultivating and ensuring:
- Experienced and entrepreneurial council chief executives.
- Informed and influential council boards.
- Council alignment with the organization's strategic priorities.
- Adherence to Camp Fire's brand standards in all program related products and materials.
- Consistent use of Camp Fire National Headquarters supported curricula, programs, and evaluation tools and processes.
- Quality program delivery.
- Council adherence to charter requirements.
- Represents Camp Fire to funders, corporate partners, foundations, and other key external stakeholders; participates in select external initiatives.
- Leads and participates in system wide evaluation of growth and expansion opportunities: including joint ventures with other major national organizations.
- Supervises senior leadership of Program and Evaluation, Council Effectiveness, Governance and Risk Management, and Camp Fire Heartland (Greater Kansas City regional program).
- Oversees monitoring, assessment and improvement of council and national headquarters "health" indicators.
- Oversees the council chartering process, ensuring adherence to corporate guidelines and standards.
- Leads planning for select regional and national conferences.
- Serves as staff liaison to committees of the national board assigned by the President/CEO.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor's degree, at a minimum, in business, education or other relevant field; or ten to fifteen years related experience in youth development; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Essential Areas of Expertise
Strategy execution and business development at regional or national levels; experience within a matrixed, de-centralized affiliate system; senior level operations management; demonstrated commitment to continuous learning; presenter to small and large audiences; youth program development experience preferred.
Planning and organizing; written business communications and reports; leadership of individuals and teams to create a motivating, high performance work environment; high degree of personal accountability for quality performance; ability to identify and implement creative, innovative solutions.
Negotiation and collaboration; priority setting; attention to detail; problem solving; analytical; oral and written communications; time management.
Leads and directs four supervisors who supervise a total of 11 staff plus seasonal and part time Kansas City program staff. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination of work assignments, and evaluation of these individuals and their respective teams. Holds staff accountable for achieving goals; performing duties and representing Camp Fire consistent with Camp Fire's vision, strategy, and values.
Approximately 30-50% travel within the United States. Local travel related to Camp Fire Heartland (Kansas City region).
Please send resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, to email@example.com.