Vice President, Marketing
Camp Fire, one of America's oldest and most progressive community-based youth development organizations, seeks a strong, dynamic senior marketing professional to serve as Vice President of Marketing for Camp Fire's National Headquarters. With a strong tradition of service and an abundance of energy, enthusiasm and unwavering commitment to enrich the lives of all youth, Camp Fire offers a powerful value proposition for its members, their communities, and the organizations and individuals that support the Camp Fire mission.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer and serving as a central support to the CEO, the Vice President of Marketing is a key member of the senior leadership team, helping to set strategic direction and providing leadership to ensure that marketing and communications objectives are met and are in line with the Camp Fire mission and goals. An accomplished marketing and communications professional, the Vice President serves as Camp Fire's chief marketing officer, driving growth in awareness, membership, corporate and program partnerships, philanthropic support and earned revenue.
The Vice President of Marketing:
- Leads and supervises execution of Camp Fire's marketing and communications plan, with emphasis on brand compliance, PR, media relations, advertising, digital and social media, and website.
- Supports achievement of revenue goals through design and direction of marketing plans, campaigns, online merchandise strategies, and programs.
- Plans and oversees advertising and promotion activities including print, online, electronic media, and direct mail.
- Serves as liaison with outside PR/advertising agencies, consultants, and contractors.
- Oversees development and production of branded promotional and collateral materials.
- Provides marketing analysis, recommendations and regular updates, in formats appropriate to the target audiences(s).
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Develops and implements an integrated strategic communications plan to advance Camp Fire's brand identity; broadens awareness of its programs and priorities; and increases the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences
- Creates marketing/public relations strategy that will allow Camp Fire leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers
- Formulates a dual strategy that elevates awareness of the Camp Fire brand nationally and in its headquarters market of Kansas City, leveraging an issues- and research-based platform and recognizing that the CEO is an extension of the Camp Fire brand.
- Serves as communications advisor to Camp Fire leadership and in Camp Fire's strategic planning
- Oversees development of all Camp Fire print and electronic communications; manages relationships with associated vendors and consultants
- Serves as a spokesperson and lead contact on all media interactions
- Exercises professional judgment to prioritize media opportunities; and prepares message points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed
- Actively cultivates, engages and manages media relationships to promote placement ensure coverage surrounding Camp Fire programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects
- Oversees the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning and staff development
- Recruits and manages a communications team to support the development and execution of Camp Fire's communications strategy; mentors and develops the team using a supportive and collaborative approach
- Promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Establishes and monitors team performance and development goals, assigning accountabilities, setting objectives, establishing priorities, and conducting annual performance appraisals
- Passion for the Camp Fire Mission and Promise
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top-tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements. Proven ability to generate earned media to local and national scale.
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization's mission and goals, with particular attention to digital marketing and new media strategies
- Innovative marketer who shows a proven ability to champion and foster strong partnerships among Camp Fire and corporate, philanthropic and marketing partners that enhance the partners' brand and help carry the Camp Fire message
- Strategic thinker who demonstrates strong analytics; sound command of technology and multi-channel messaging and distribution. The ability to translate strategic thinking into action plans and output.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- A strong, persuasive communicator who can convey ideas and concepts to broad and diverse audiences
- Ability to travel
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in business, marketing, communications, or related field from an accredited college or university is required; Advance degree preferred.
Minimum of 10 years' experience in marketing, with at least five years' experience in a senior management role, plus:
Application deadline and procedure: Open until filled; however, applications received during the finalist stage of the search are not guaranteed consideration.
For priority consideration, apply by email by September 10, 2014, to: email@example.com
Attach to the e-mail in PDF and Word format:
- Letter of application
- Resumé, detailing measurable success in the areas of key qualifications for the position
- Personal statement detailing how innovation and leadership can leverage success in the areas of marketing/communications and donor relations in a multigenerational and multichannel environment
- List of five professional references we may contact
Complete applications will be acknowledged by return e-mail within one week of submission.
Questions may be directed to: HCapSearchNP, Jennifer Furla, Partner, firstname.lastname@example.org; 816-591-5493.
About Camp Fire
Founded in 1910 by Charlotte and Luther Gulick, M.D., as an organization to guide young people on their journey to self-discovery, Camp Fire is a leading nonprofit youth development organization in the U.S. Camp Fire serves youth, teens and families in communities across the United States with teen service and leadership, out-of-school time programming, and environmental and camp programs. Because youth want to shape the world, Camp Fire's focus is giving youth and teens the opportunity to find their sparks, lift their voice and discover who they are. Camp Fire programs are research-based and are proven to develop young people's skills now so they can reach their full potential.
Marking its centennial of service in 2010 and rebranding in 2012 to modernize and convey how its programs "light the fire within," Camp Fire has been a leader and innovator from its earliest days:
- As America's first nonsectarian and multicultural organization for girls.
- In 1975, as an organization to lead the way in embracing a coeducational model so that boys and girls learn to play and work alongside each other and appreciate their similarities and differences in positive ways.
- In 1988, strengthening its long-standing focus on teen service and leadership with youth-led programming where teens connect with their communities and their world through service projects that develop skills and allow them to make real differences in their communities.
- In 2012, as America's first national youth development organization to implement the methodology for thriving developed by the Thrive Foundation for Youth. Camp Fire is implementing Step-It-Up-2-Thrive across 40 councils with the goal to impact more than 150,000 youth by 2015.
Nearly 1 million youth, teens and their families participate in Camp Fire programs annually, supported by more than 10,000 volunteers, 3,429 employees nationwide, and local and national board members. Total annual operating revenue is more than $45 million. Through its industry leading framework integrating organization effectiveness, program quality and outcomes measurement, Camp Fire's 68 Councils partner with parents, schools, faith institutions and other community partners to achieve its Promise:
Young people want to shape the world.
Camp Fire provides the opportunity to find their sparks, lift their voice,
And discover who they are.
At Camp Fire, it begins now.
Light the fire within.